Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Election Night 2008 in Lil Ole Natchez

Well, after two long years, this election is finally here - and in a few hours, we'll know the results.

My polling place is the Courthouse right downtown. It's a Republican district. I went down early this morning, and the first thing I noticed was no signs and no people working the poll. That's very unusual - I was shocked. There is no place to put up signs, so we've always had people standing there with signs. I have no idea what this means - if anything.

I was there until 9 am, and there was no waiting and no lines, although there was a steady stream of voters. I checked several times during the day, and the number of voters did seem encouraging. At least there were no problems - other than one intellectually challenged poll worker who had trouble hearing and with the alphabet. But a supervisor was helping her, so it wasn't too bad.

It's 5:30 and I'm on my way to the poll to stay until it closes, when I'll get the votes and call them in. I'll take my laptop and may be able to write while I'm there.

To be continued. . .

No comments: