When the issue of the Pecan Factory rose(and heated) up I didn't get mentally involved because it was one of those things covered by:
My Lord what's the point in ME deciding what's right. I'll just wait for the process to work its way through and live with the results.
WELL - sometimes it just doesn't work out that way.
The City (Mayor) has:
1. Snubbed the State Legislature by violating the State Antiquities Act.
2. Snubbed the State Attorney General by directly defying the injunction issued while the Pecan Factory was being demolished
3. Snubbed the Miss. Supreme Court by destroying a property that is at the heart of a legal matter that is currently before the Court!
4. Snubbed the Miss Dept of Archives and History by not even attempting to get a permit and by TEARING THE THING DOWN WHILE THE EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR OF ARCHIVES AND HISTORY (HANK HOLMES) was in Natchez for the History Conference.
5. Snubbed the Historic Natchez Foundation by tearing down a official state LANDMARK BUILDING in Natchez during the annual meeting and conference of the Historic Natchez Foundation (attended by preservation professionals from coast to coast). This is a time when the HNF is supposed “shine” and show off Natchez for the world.
Check out the Radio interview with West: WQNZ-FM 95Country - The South's Country Giant http://www.95country.com/custom/webpage.cfm?content=News&id=1207
Mayor Philip West: ”Many people are going into the facility, they are taking things out of the facility, they are playing in the facility, doing all kinds of things because of the nature of where it’s located on the bluff. If somebody gets hurt, then either the city or the developer or a combination of both would be liable. And there was no need to allow that sort of situation to exist. That’s why I issued the executive order yesterday.” As for the landmark status of the site, West says that what is protected as a landmark is the land, not the building, and therefore no law had been broken.
He is wrong: THE BUILDING WAS LANDMARKED. NOT JUST THE LAND.
Why doesn’t he know this?
Did he just “forget?”